Pad Thai with Chicken and Shrimp
Thailand’s most famous noodle dish. Thai fish sauce is a salty condiment make from anchovies, water and salt. Look for rice noodles and fish sauce in the Asian section of the supermarket.
- 7 oz rice noodles, uncooked
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp sesame oil, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 6 oz medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, whole, chopped
- 2 Tbs chopped peanuts
- Prepare rice noodles according to the package. Drain and rinse under cold water; set aside in a bowl.
- Combine water, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar and red pepper flakes in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat one tsp oil in a mustard, and pan or wok over medium heat. Add beaten egg and stir fry. Remove scrambled egg from pan and add to noodles.
- Add one tsp (5mL) oil to heated pan, stir in garlic, chicken and shrimp. Stir fry just until chicken turns opaque and loses its pink color.
- Add green onions and cook an additional minute.
- Add noodle-egg mixture and sauce, cook until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat; toss with bean sprouts and cilantro.
- Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 72 (18%)
Total Fat 8g
Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 57g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.